Monday, July 12, 2010

Final Tune-up

Well, I leave in 5 days and I have been trying to figure out just how to taper my training to be fresh for the rides next week without losing fitness. Oddly enough, even with a short layoff, sometimes a week or less, the fitness level starts to deteriorate. I don't believe we will get to ride at all before Sunday, so I don't want to pack up the bike till the last minute.

I rode a 25 mile hilly ride on Saturday at a moderate pace and did my last mountain tune-up at the Gaps in Dahlonega yesterday (Sunday). I got there late, having gone to church first so I didn't get on the bike till after 11:00. The forecast called for 90's even in the mountains but I don't think it ever got quite that hot. Riding on the right side edge of the road I was in the shade for most of the climbing, so that definitely helped. It was a 35 mile ride with about 10 miles of climbing, 5 miles of rollers between Gaps and 10 miles of descending (Wheeee...). I kind of surprised myself. The climbs did not seem to be as steep and as demanding as the last time I rode them a couple weeks back. I wasn't going to break any speed records on the climbs but I did manage to pass a few folks on the way up but it was probably just one of those days that are becoming fewer and further between. There were three guys from a cycling group in Augusta I met up with at the top of the first two climbs and I passed them on the last climb. Not many hills in Augusta except maybe at Augusta National where they play the Masters but I don't think they would allow cyclists on the cart paths (you think?).

Well, if you have been keeping up with the Tour, you know that Lance Armstrong is pretty much out of the picture for winning the Tour or even finishing on the podium (1st, 2nd or 3rd). He crashed yesterday (stage 8) and got caught up in a couple other mishaps which knocked him out of the Peleton and he didn't have it in him to fight his way back. He finished almost 12 minutes behind the General Classification contenders and it would be virtually impossible to make that up over the next two weeks. He's currently in 39th place overall. He pretty much conceded that in the post stage interview, but plans to try and win a stage or two and support other riders on his team that have a shot (Levi Leipheimer currently in 8th and possibly Andres Kloden 22nd I think). I guess there comes a point in time in every elite athlete's career where they have to realize that there is no substitute for youth. I learn that lesson pretty much every group ride I do (HA!!).

Don't let the spandex and pagentry of the Tour fool you, these guys are tough. Tyler Ferrar an American sprinter from the Garmin team broke his wrist in a crash in an early stage and is still riding. They've even had guys who broke their collarbones continue riding to finish stages. I cracked my collarbone once on a camping/hiking trip and there were'nt enough drugs and alcohol around that would have gotten me back on a bike. Road rash? What's a little skin here and there. Oh yeah; the real reason cyclists shave their legs is so it's easier to clean the wounds from road rash, not aerodynamics as is often thought.

I will take off today (riding that is) to do a dry run packing my bike. I plan to do easy rides Tues, Wed and Thurs just to keep the legs moving.

I'm not much of a techno geek so hopefully I can continue making posts as planned throughout my trip. I hope to take a lot of pictures and post to my blog at least every couple days if not every day during the trip.

Au revoir!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Larry, right on with the commentary leading up to your trip. I'm looking forward to reading some commentary from you on the blog during the trip. Make sure you try to get something from the caravan that proceeds the tour and throws out all kinds of stuff (remember that kid who took down Armstrong with the freebie bag hooked on Lance's handlebars in 2000 I think - a near disaster), let's not go there. Since you'll be in the Pyrenees near Spain let me know if you need some Spanish words! Have fun and keep up the entertaining commentary - maybe if Phil Liggett ever retires you could have a chance. Let us know who you see and what the true definition of suffering on a bicycle is when you ascend the Tourmalet (perhaps second only to L'Alpe d'Huez, the true mecca of cycling climbs). I expect to see you running in front of the leaders with the American flag as they climb the Tourmalet!!! if the devil gets in the way push him aside (but watch out for his pitchfork)

Eric said...

No doubt about those riders being tough guys!

When's that first "live from france" update coming I wonder???

Unknown said...

I was really hoping he'd find a way to post stuff live but maybe the hotels don't have the right access. Maybe with today being a rest day, we can only hope.
Larry, for the record I think what Contador did to Andy Schleck was an outrage and really want Andy to bury him on the slopes of the Tourmalet. What a dirty tactic to attack when the yellow jersey has a mechanical and then claim later that he didn't know!!

Unknown said...

Another historic stage on the climb up the Tourmalet yesterday. Larry, I wonder if you made the climb with the terrible weather they had? Liggett and Sherwin were commenting they were on the other side of the mountain and in the sunshine. Schleck looked solid during the climb and appeared to be taunting Contador the whole way up. Where were you on the mountain when the leaders sprinted by? How long did it take you to make the climb compared to the leaders? Or compared to the "Autobus"?

Larry said...

Hello everyone. Made it back safe and sound. Sorry I was not able to post during my trip. I kept a journal and will be posting all the details and pictures over the next couple of days. The Tour Group accidently paired me up with another guy instead of Doug (who requested me) who had the computer and after a day or two it was just too much of a hassle to get all the hotel stuff switched. I tried to use the hotel computer once but their keyboard is totally different than ours with a lot of extra symbols and such. Never did find the @ symbol actually. I really didn't have much time to post anyway. Breakfast at 6:30am, rides which took the better part of the day sometimes right up until dinner at 8pm, sometimes later. Then going out to check out the town and that was about all I could muster. It doesn't get dark there until about 10:30 or so, so time kind of gets away from you before you realize you have to get up in 6hrs.